Spiced Apple and Peach Tea Muffins
Tea or coffee is a question that we ask a lot around here. Especially when we have guests. Dessert isn't dessert without a warm cup of somethin' somethin' to enjoy it with!
Us? We love both. Yup, we believe in coffee and absolutely love a hot cup of tea. These creations were born out of our love of baking and tea.
They're spiced, but not too intensely, and made with almond meal and baking powder resulting in a fluffy, soft muffin. If you're after a warming morning snack, you're at the right place.
Muffins are so easy to make, no mixers or fancy equipment needed here. This recipe is great for beginners BUT the flavour you get will fool anyone into thinking you are a seasoned baking pro! So, lets get mixin'..
Yield: 12 large muffins
Time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes baking time
For your muffin mix, you will need
- 3 green apples, peeled and chopped (peaches or berries will work perfectly)
- 2 cups flour (we used 1 cup almond meal + 1 cup gluten free flour) **
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 coconut sugar**
- 1/2 cup olive or coconut oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 4 x Governors Estate Calming Peach Herbal Infusion teabags
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- A handful chopped walnuts
- Pop the oven on - 170 degrees C and line a muffin tin with liners.
- Bring kettle to the boil. Pour 1/4 cup of boiling water over the teabags in a small saucepan. Let sit for 5 minutes until strongly infused, next add 1 cup almond milk and simmer on LOW heat for 5 minutes.
- Beat the coconut sugar, oil and egg until well combined.
- Take your tea milk infusion and mix into the coconut sugar mix.
- Add the almond meal, baking powder, and gluten free flour into the wet ingredients and mix well. Your mix should be glossy and thick.
- Make crumble mix: mix all ingredients until well combined in seperate bowl and set to the side.
- Fold through the apples and walnuts until incorporated. Drop heaped spoonfuls into the muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes then remove from oven, pop on crumble mix and return for another 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack for at least 15 minutes before enjoying!
** If you're not gluten free, this recipe works just as well with brown or white sugar and plain flour! Lets get baking!