Easter Week: Hot Cross Buns
Is it really that time of year again? Didn't we just celebrate Christmas? We're not complaining, we love an excuse to whip up delicious things in the kitchen and share them with family, we're just a bit concerned about how quickly the year is flying by!
Alas, we digress. The reason we are all here today, hot cross buns! Gluten free and made with vegetables? Wait, hear us out. There is 1/2 a cup of sweet potato in these babies and you cannot taste it. We promise! It adds a lovely sweetness and depth of flavour, it also adds fibre and nutrition! Give it a go. You won't regret it.
Yield: 9 hot cross buns
Time: 45 minutes - 60 minutes
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cacao
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree (pumpkin could work too)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup roughly cut dark chocolate, we like 85% or higher (more for a sweeter bun)
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Mix all of your dry ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
3. Mix all of your wet ingredients in a smaller bowl until well combined.
4. Fold wet ingredients into dry then fold in dark chocolate chips
5. Roll into buns and arrange in pan.
6. Bake in oven for 25 minutes and enjoy!
You can add the cross to these buns with a flour and water mix prior to baking or alternately use white (or dark!) chocolate once they have cooled.