Vanilla Chai Cream Filled Cookies
If you like your desserts lower in sugar and jammed packed full of goodness, these cookies are the right ones for you! Made with vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon, the spices add warmth and natural sweetness. The cookies themselves are made with almonds, which are an amazing food, containing both iron and zinc. These babies are essential for eliminating brain fatigue and balancing mood.
Cinnamon is great because it can aid in naturally balancing blood sugar levels. When blood sugar levels are balanced, your hormones can function in a way that allows for better sleep!
Nutmeg has a calming effect when consumed in smaller doses. According to Ayurveda, a pinch of nutmeg can have de-stressing effects and can be used with a pinch of cardamom for added benefits (also found in this recipe!)
VEGAN | GLUTEN FREE | LOW SUGAR
Prep time: 30 minutes + soak time
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yields: 12 filled cookies (24 single cookies)
Chai vanilla cashew cream
- 2/3 cup natural cashews
- 1 tablespoon loose leaf chai tea
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of vanilla
- Soak the cashews for at least 30 minutes to an hour in plain water.
- Steep the chai tea in ½ cup hot water while the cashews are soaking.
- Pour the chai into a blender, along with the drained cashews and maple syrup. Blend until smooth and creamy and once combined, chill in the fridge.
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. The mix will come together quite quickly and feel a touch wet, this is perfect!
- Place mixture between 2 sheets of baking paper and use rolling pin to roll to 1mm thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out an even number of cookies. Place on a baking tray and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes until slightly golden. Leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled, pipe cashew cream onto one cookie, and top with a second cookie. Continue until all cookies are filled.