One Bowl Wonder Muesli Bars
Are you after a healthy snack time that you can feel good about any time of the day? Well you've come to the right place! Why spend $5 plus for 6 store bought muesli bars filled with who knows what when you can whip up your own?
These bars are low FODMAP and don't contain any nasties! Lets get baking!
PREP. 15-20 minutes
COOK. 20 - 30 minutes
You will need:
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds/chopped nuts or seeds
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon cranberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup (see below for substitutions)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup boiling water (roughly)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a pan with baking paper
- Add your rolled oats, coconut, flaked almonds, cranberries and cacao nibs (or whatever add ins you'd like) to a large mixing bowl and stir until combined. Mix through cinnamon.
- Add coconut oil, rice malt syrup, vanilla & boiling water into a cup and stir until coconut oil has melted and the ingredients are combined. Pour over your dry ingredients and mix until fully coated.
- If your mix is still a little dry, add a touch more water until it comes together nicely.
- Pour and flatten mixture into the tray making it about 2cm thick, ensuring it is spread evenly in the baking tray.
- Pop into your preheated oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on your oven!)
- Once baked, place on a cutting board and allow to cool. Slice into squares or rectangles and store in an airtight container!
For gluten free or paleo diets substitute oats with 3 cups combined (almond meal, seeds, walnuts + if you'd like - sun-dried dried fruit)
We topped ours with homemade chocolate! Yum!
This recipe is a fantastic base. You can substitute rice malt for honey if you are not following a FODMAP diet, or even with mashed banana.
You can also mix up the add ins! We love cacao because we're chocoholics, but other nuts and seeds work well too - just make sure you chop them finely!
If you make these, be sure to take a photo and tag us @healthfoodproject, #hfp or #healthfoodproject!
We love seeing your kitchen creations.