A PB Classic: Easy Peanut Brittle Ice Cream
What do you think of when you think of peanut butter classics? We think of a few things..
- Peanut brittle
- Peanut butter banana pancakes
- Peanut butter and jam (anything)
- Peanut butter buckeye balls
Oh and who can forget the classic peanut butter cookie?! When Mayver's sent us an epic peanut butter filled pack of goodness, we were pretty excited! We pretty much decided to create our all time favourite PB classics. You're welcome! So drumroll. First up, peanut brittle! You can just make the peanut brittle on its own - we did first but decided it was destined for something greater.. Peanut brittle ice cream. This recipe is vegan, gluten free and so easy to make. Honestly, the ice cream can pretty much be blended, popped into the freezer and then you can forget about it.. It's pretty forgiving. AKA the perfect recipe. So, lets get started!
Ice cream ingredients:
- 1 cup regular coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup (or any other sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (we used Mayver's natural protein peanut butter)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of cocoa powder
- Add the coconut milk, coconut cream, cocoa powder, rice malt syrup, peanut butter, vanilla and pinch of salt (if your PB is unsalted) into a bowl and whisk until incorporated. Alternately you can blend all ingredients together in a blender until nice and foamy.
- Once combined, transfer to a freezer safe container and chill in the freezer for at least one hour. Mix after an hour and return to freezer. Repeat this 2 times.
- In the meantime, prepare your brittle. Recipe below!
- When you notice your ice cream firming up, add the brittle in pieces and mix through. The ice cream should be nice and thick by this point - the brittle shouldn't be sinking to the bottom.
- Cover the ice cream and freeze for an hour or so.
For the brittle, you will require the following: (this recipe makes a lot of extra brittle, so feel free to 1/2 or 1/3 amount if you're simply making to add into the ice cream)
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/3 cup Mayver's smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, rice malt syrup and water. Bring this to a boil over medium heat.
- When boiling, add the salt an cook the brittle (don't mix or stir!!) until bubbling. Approx. 6-7 minutes over medium heat. Cook until the mixture starts to thicken. If you have a sugar thermometer feel free to use this (you're wanting it to reach 105 C), however we just eyeballed ours and it turned out great!
- Once the mix has started to thicken, add the peanuts and mix well.
- Continue cooking until the peanuts are fragrant and the overall mix smells very strongly of caramel. Turn off heat, mix through peanut butter and combine well. The mix will reach 120 C.
- Next, return to heat while you add the baking soda and vanilla and stir well—the brittle will foam up.
- Working quickly, once foamy, spread the mixture over the baking paper and pop into the fridge to cool.
- Break into pieces & stir through your ice cream.